It’s all “Fun and Games” at the Springfield Museums for Winter Break
SPRINGFIELD – The Springfield Museums have announced their slate of activities for the upcoming February vacation week. Visitors can enjoy a combination of fun activities, special guests, and live performances by some of the region’s best family performers, as well as the popular Zoo in You and Turtle Power! exhibitions.
“Spin, Stack & Roll: Fun and Games Week” kicks off on Monday, February 20, with all four Springfield Museums open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., featuring floor games led by the Interskate 91 team and a 1 p.m. performance by Malik the Magician. Performances and appearances on subsequent days will include:
- Tues., Feb. 21 – Trickster Tales by Barefoot Puppets. Visitors will see traditional stories from West Africa brought to life with expressive puppets, music, and colorful scenery (1 p.m.). A Springfield Thunderbirds hockey player and feathered mascot Boomer will encourage children to show off their slap shot in an inflatable hockey game.
- Wed., Feb. 22 – Jenny the Juggler performs. In this variety show, Boston’s Best (“and ONLY!”) female professional juggler creates unforgettable memories for kids of all ages (1 p.m.). Interskate 91 will be back for another round of floor games, including Hot Potato, the Limbo and Four Corners (11 a.m.-1 p.m.).
- Thurs., Feb. 23 – In the Nick of Time concert. This family-friendly band will deliver rock, pop, reggae, jazz, and funk (1 p.m.). Kids of all ages can meet their favorite Looney Tunes characters straight from a local amusement park (11 a.m.-1 p.m.).
- Fri., Feb. 24. – Little Puppet Show by Mr. Vinny. The founder of the popular Toe Jam Puppet Band will tell the story of “The 12 Lil’ Pigs and the Big Bad Pineapple” and will invite the audience to play a game of ‘What’s that Shadow?” (2 p.m.). Visitors can tour the galleries to catch the star of Pokémon Go!, Pikachu (11 a.m.-1 p.m.).
Other program highlights include (all Monday-Friday):
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Play games and win prizes with Professor Knows A. Lot.
- 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Design your own board game with spaces, spinners, cards and more.
- 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Learn about how basketball was created, its connection to Dr. Seuss and play a game of Lorax basketball.
- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Experience giant versions of classic games like Connect Four, Jenga, Candy Land and Yahtzee,
- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Play traditional African board games in honor of Black History Month.
- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Grab your smart phone, load up on poké balls, and search the galleries for wild Pokémon. The Museums will drop three lures per day across the campus!
“Spin, Stack & Roll: Fun and Games Week” is part of the Museums’ Family Fun series, supported by the TD Charitable Foundation.
Admission prices are $18 for adults, $12 for seniors and college students, $9.50 for children 3-17, and free for children under three and museum members. The fee provides access to all four museums. General admission is free for Springfield residents with proof of address. For more information, please call 413-263-6800, ext. 489, or visit SpringfieldMuseums.org.
MassMutual is the 2017 Season Supporter of the Springfield Museums.